Industrial air coolers are a huge necessity in high temperate zones where increased humidity and heat make working conditions unbearable. The need is greater in production units like factories, warehouses, thermal plants, chemical units and even institutions. A hot and humid atmosphere cuts down the efficiency of personnel thus resulting in low production output and poor performance. An air cooler like desert coolers will not only cool a workplace but also emit fresh clean air as well as dehumidify areas and raise the comfort level of working conditions. This will in turn increase efficiency and boost production. An Industrial cooler does not only provide comfort but is a good business investment for enhancing productivity.
Most industrial air coolers like desert coolers and swamp coolers are based on technology that has been researched from studying the climate of hot and humid areas to ensure maximum performance. Based on the evaporative techniques, industrial coolers can also be termed as evaporative coolers there are even large cooling units that feature large water tower systems that assist the cooling capacity of the cooler.
Technology today has reduced eco friendly coolers that emit less Chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere. The result is low carbon emission, water and energy conservation features. It makes more sense for a business to install an industrial cooler rather than a central air conditioning unit mainly because of low power consumption as well as improved cooling which provides cleaner decongested air due to its dehumidifier working in the cooler.
The Various Types of Coolers Used In Industry
- Evaporative coolers
- Desert coolers
- Swamp coolers
- Office coolers
Technical Aspects of an Industrial Cooler
The cooling area of an air cooler will largely depend on the technical capacity of a cooler. A typical air cooler used in shops and warehouses will cool areas up to 2800 sq feet. There are various models meant for smaller areas as well.
The Main Components of an Air Cooler
- Water storage tank
- Cooling media or cooling pad
- Coolant or the liquid medium used for cooling
- Piping usually made of copper for distribution of water and air
- High speed motor
- Fans or blowers to circulate air
- Regulator or thermostat
- Filter for prevention of dirt and dust
- Exterior insulated body
How an Air Cooler Works
- An industrial cooler will feature a large water tank to store water. For better water conservation, an eco friendly air cooler will have larger storage capacity and utilize water resources to the maximum without wastage. The cooler will absorb heated air into its system which is passed through the water and cooling media. It is in this area where the actual cooling system takes place where heat and moisture is absorbed and evaporated. The resulting cold air is blown out of the system with the help of powerful motor driven fans.The piping system distributes cold moisture, water and air throughout the cooler. Cooled air emitted from a swamp type cooler has the capacity to reduce temperatures down by 30 degrees. The rapid cooling system works better than an air-conditioned which takes awhile till air is cooled. Swamp coolers work on the natural concept of evaporation whose phenomena can usually takes place around large water systems like oceans and lakes. The technology in industrial coolers and desert coolers and are based on such evaporating systems to provide better results. Moreover the cooling area of an air cooler is wider than that of an AC. Industrial coolers use cooling media technology which features a cooling pad consisting of water mixed with a coolant. Some air coolers use glycol which is effective in cooling systems.Thus the entire system is a 3 way method consisting of air circulation, absorption and evaporation in media pads, and cold air release. This is the working of an air cooler in a nutshell.Perhaps the most important aspect of an industrial cooler is the reduction of humidity which when increased can raise the discomfort index of an environment. Coolers used both in industry and in domestic areas have this feature to dehumidify air to the point of making it fresh and clean. This is beneficial for those with respiratory problems.
Features of an Industrial Cooler As Compared To Air Conditioners
- Environment friendly. No CFC emission thus zero carbon
- Low electric consumption
- Delivers fresh air as compare to stale air from an AC
- Faster cooling within minutes
- Wide area coverage
- Low maintenance
Evaporative cooling method has been around even in primitive forms where people living in deserts used such rudimentary methods for cooling tents etc. methods like blankets and rugs soaked in water and hung over large windows exposed to natural wind or fans to cool are still used in houses today. Evaporative coolers have used these concepts and refined them in modern day technology application to produce the air cooler as it is known today.
Advanced systems of air cooling in industry have given way to cooling towers, ducting systems and central cooling systems. Which feature thermostats to control air flow and degree of cooling? What’s unique about such systems is the low consumption of power as well as control over temperatures.
Maintenance levels and requirements in industrial coolers are much lower than those of refrigeration systems. Drain pumps installed in factories ensure media pads have a longer life. Filters within the coolers protect the inner components from residues and dirt. Well insulated bodies protect against the possibilities of shocking due to a short circuit or leakage.
What make air cooler and industrial coolers unique in their method of function are the eco friendly aspects which are a huge necessity in terms of the environment. Consumers are using up more and more energy resources by way of appliances thus increasing their carbon footprints upon earth and the atmosphere. Industrial coolers due to their conservation features reduce such negative aspects and are responsible products for the environment.
Industry prefers the usage of industrial coolers over refrigeration systems due to the low cost of energy and maintenance. The efficiency levels are far more produced resulting in better cooling and cleaner air quality
In equatorial zones where the climate is hot and humid as in the case of India, The manufacturing industry can suffer a lot by way of slower and decreased production due to low efficiency rate of workers. This is not always an employee’s fault but due to heat and high humidity making working conditns especially in factories and assembly units almost unbearable.
Why would one need an industrial cooler
Industrial units would thus gain by way of improved performance and increased production by improving and promoting favorable conditions for its workers, this is where an industrial cooler plays a major role in alleviating and decreasing humidity for a more comfortable workplace.
For almost every industry situated in hot and hued climates, it can be a real tough task to maintain a healthy productive attitude among employees. The only time when efficiency can be at a maximum is when working conditions are made comfortable for an employee to function normally. Heated humid conditions can result in dehydration, fatigue and breathlessness of employees especially those at the grass root levels like assembly units, and service. A comfortable atmosphere ensures enhanced productivity.
Evaporation Technology Allows Rapid Cooling
Evaporation technology is based on natural phenomena of actual evaporation. We witness this same system during summer months when our sweet is evaporated recuing our body temperature. Thus sweating is our body’s natural cooling process. Natural cooling happens near waterfalls and large water bodies like rivers and lakes. Increased heating of air leads to higher degree of evaporation. The evaporation in cooler stops when total saturation is reached. However industrial coolers are manufactured with ways and means to maintain the evaporation process for a continued airflow into the system.
Essentially what an air cooler does is that it cools air that is passed through water using the evaporation process. Cold air is then blown out through the cooler which cools its surroundings. The extent of cooling area depends on the strength and power of the cooler. Air coolers not just cool air; they also lower humidity levels within the same area thus clearing the air making it fresh and healthier. Working on the same principles as an evaporator, the only difference in an air cooler is the type of liquid medium used for increased effectiveness.
Usually in most air coolers, water containing glycol is used. This works as a coolant or the cooling agent. Industrial coolers are made up of steel or copper piping with fins made from a lightweight material such as aluminum. The cooling process takes place within the piping where air is the dehumidified and cooled and forced over the fins by fans that are driven by high speed motors. The strength and working of an industrial cooler will depend on the quality and technology governing its motors.A good industrial cooler will deliver not only cold comfortable air but also feature cost effective characteristics by being energy efficient and deco friendly.
Cooling Towers Are Used In Large Facilities
Industrial coolers also use cooling towers which work on a similar evaporative process. These are widely used in applications concerning oil refineries and thermal plants or chemical factories where the entire building needs to be cooled evenly. Industrial coolers just 10 percent of the total energy used by an air conditioner. In most cases it is more efficient and extremely cost effective where energy usage is concerned.
Industrial coolers are used for cooling machines to reduce heating up of components, warehouses, sports institutions and production units.
Evaporative cooling systems in industrial coolers work more effectively than central air conditioning which is still used in various industrial plants. However an air cooler system provides fresher and cooler air into the working atmosphere whereas the air conditioner circulates dryer air into the environment. This results in poor air c quality that can cause congestion in those with lung problems.
It is much more cost effective to install an air cooler in your factory rather than a central air conditioning unit. Costs of operation and equipment are much less in the case of an air cooler. Maintenance too requires minimum service.
Evaporative industrial coolers are a company’s answer to addressing environmental concerns such as global warming and damage to the ozone layer due to harmful emissions into the environment. Industrial coolers produced with eco friendly features conserve energy and ensure a damage free environment.